Update as at 24 January 2022
A $2.1 billion transformation of the Eagle Street Pier and Waterfront Place precinct into Brisbane’s premium business and leisure destination received development approval from Brisbane City Council in December 2020.
Waterfront Brisbane is set to deliver a global-standard business and tourist destination that aims to maximise its prime riverside location with enhanced open spaces and amenity and a revitalised premier waterfront dining hub.
The Eagle Street Pier Precinct will be revived to include new public realm, a new riverwalk and new eateries and bars. The approved design incorporates:
• two new towers
• enhanced retail offering
• 9,000 sqm of riverside public open space
• substantial improvements to the riverwalk
• large public plazas opening on to the river
• a widening of the riverwalk to at least six metres for the full length of the site
• ramping to allow cyclists ease of access to street level
The project’s scale and central riverfront location will firmly establish Waterfront Brisbane as a world-class destination and is set to reshape the daily experience of the many people who visit and work there.
Waterfront Brisbane will unlock the considerable potential of this Brisbane CBD gateway site which has remained under-developed for almost 30 years. The Eagle Street Pier precinct refresh will ensure it continues to provide dining, entertainment and spectacular riverside experiences for future generations.
As part of the approval, a new 280-metre riverwalk connecting Waterfront Place to the Riparian Plaza will be constructed, replacing the existing aged path. A new, wider Riverwalk will greatly improve the existing experience for cyclists, allowing cyclists and pedestrians to co-exist more comfortably and enhancing connectivity to the Botanic Gardens Riverwalk upgrade and the planned Kangaroo Point Green Bridge.
The existing Eagle Street Pier restaurant precinct will continue to trade before closing to allow construction to start. The first tower is expected to be completed in 2027.
For more information on Waterfront Brisbane, visit https://www.dexus.com/leasing/office/waterfront-brisbane.
Waterfront Brisbane – key facts
The Waterfront Brisbane proposal includes:
• Two towers of 49 and 43 floors on the Eagle Street Pier site
• Approximately 9,000 square metres of riverside public open space (the equivalent of a football field)
• Expansive, shaded terraces with lush, subtropical landscaping
• A circa 280-metre riverwalk and a minimum six-metre-wide promenade allowing safe transit through the precinct
• A river link providing cycle and wheelchair connectivity between Eagle Street and the river
• New moorings for commercial craft, including river taxis
• Improved pedestrian amenity with wider Eagle Street footpaths
• Improved access to and views of the river
• Seven-day-a-week destination with fresh and convenient mix of dining options
• Renovated heritage listed Naldham House